In order to send email through Avvanta's network while connected to another ISP or while using our roaming dial-up numbers you must configure your email program to authenticate to the mail server before sending. You should also enable SSL when using SMTP Authentication to encrypt your password.
- Use mail.avvanta.com as your SMTP server name. The old mail.blarg.net server name still works, but the SSL certificate is specific to mail.avvanta.com and your mail program will complain if you use the old name with the new certificate.
- To configure Outlook or Outlook Express to authenticate, click on Tools, then Accounts. From the Accounts window, click on the Mail tab. Click one time on the mail.avvanta.com account entry and then click on the Properties button. Click on the Servers tab and check the checkbox labeled "My server requires authentication". Click on the Advanced tab. Change the Outgoing (SMTP) port to 465 and check the box that says This server requires a secure connection (SSL). Click OK. Close the Accounts window by clicking on the Close button. Each time you send out mail now, Outlook will securely log in to our mail server and allow you to send mail out.
- To configure Mac Mail, in the Mail program click on Mail and choose Preferences. Under the Accounts tab choose your mail profile and click Edit. Under the Outgoing Server Field click the Server Settings (or Options) button. Make sure the Authentication field is set to Password and enter your username and password in the provided fields. Check the box next to Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). Make sure the port number is set to 465 if using SSL, and set to 25 if not using SSL.
- To configure Mozilla Thunderbird, click on Tools and choose Account Settings followed by Outgoing Server (SMTP). Select the Avvanta mail server and click the Edit button. Check the box next to the User name and Password option. Enter your username. Select the SSL option for Security and click OK. Thunderbird will prompt for the password the first time you try to send email. Note: If a port number is requested or shown make sure the port number shows 465 after selecting the SSL option.
- It is strongly recommended that SSL be used in conjunction with SMTP Authentication.
- If your mail program is not listed here or if the version differs greatly from our instructions please call our office for assistance.